Tuesday 1 January 2019

Life in the Alentejo

The last train from Sheffield took me over the Peninnes arriving back at Manchester Airport around 1am when in our super sophisticated 21st century first world nation I slept on the floor for a few hours until security opened at 5am allowing me to pass through to the duty free area where I could have had a manicure....

The flight was on time and the courtesy bus to the parking arrived just as I stepped outside so by 11am I was crosssing the ever stunning Vasco Da Gama bridge and passed through familiar territory to arrive back in Santo Antonio by late afternoon.

A few days later Joao and his Mum took me out for a meal locally before I dropped them off in Portalegre for the bus to Lisbon and a flight to Germany to visit family for the Christmas break.
Thus I had Zarco and Maya (two dogs) and Squeak the cat for company and two weeks passed very pleasantly with a gentle routine of a two hour morning walk after breakfast, usually a bike ride for me until late afternoon, an hour's walk and then a cosy evening indoors with Netflix for entertainment.
I explored the local lanes, crossed to Spain on one occasion via the old smuggler's tracks and puffed up to Marvao as part of a concerted effort to lose some weight.

The Monday market in Valencia provided excellent fruit and veg but I resisted the local hams,chorizo and cheeses and on a ride through the town a few days later explored the castle with its extensive views in to the heart of Spain and across the border to Marvao.

Sunday saw me cycle the 10 miles plus a substantial ascent to Carreras for lunch with an old friend who despite being in her 80's is full of life and heading to Sri Lanka early in the New Year. Her cosy little cottage was charming and after local sausages and a cauliflower cheese we enjoyed beers in her sun drenched yard looking west across Portalegre.
I was glad to leave the campsite for the day as the local hunt was out in full force - farmers on foot with numerous dogs after wild boar - which was a noisy intrusion. Gary's neighbours had also arrived to pick the olives so it was unusually busy.

Anyway Gary is now safely back and the site opens for another season freeing me to head south to spend time on the western coast before crossing to Spain and then Gibraltar before we meet up again prior to our proposed visit to Morocco. I hope to be there for two months before returning to the UK from Malaga in late March. Anyone planning to stay in this area would find Camping Asseiceira an idyllic base - check it out at with this link here

Thus I will post again in the next fortnight or so but will end by wishing all a Happy New Year but especially Pete and Nina, fellow travellers who were involved in a nasty scooter accident just before Christmas. Nina faces a long period of recovery but will get there and I hope to catch up with them in March.

Piccies here and I will resume the Spot locations here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help keep us in touch by adding your news and views!

A Moroccan Rendezvous..............

Leaving El Ouatia after a very useful service stop I bought fresh veg and continued up the coast past Cap Draa which is near the point where...