Monday 1 April 2013

Spring ????

After a very useful weekend in Coventry removing every last item of clothing, equipment, tools and utensils from the van which enabled me to remove the dust and grime of Morocco, Australia and even New Zealand I replaced most things and ensured I had all the requirements for the forthcoming summer.
Unfortunately the weather had overlooked the official start of spring and turned very much colder persuading me to hunker down at Llangurig for a long weekend with the comforts of a heater, the TV and a good phone/internet signal. Five inches of snow fell on the Friday night with drifting in the strong easterly winds reaching several metres and causing devastation on local farms in the middle of lambing. A 5 mile walk in to one of our bothies took 3 hours each way in arctic conditions with much of the route completely obscured - I was relieved that I had not been tempted to wild pitch at an old favourite spot as the road out had a drift more than 12 feet deep stretching several hundred metres and I would have been stranded.
Nant Rhys was in good order with a revision of the sleeping arrangements to meet fire regulations undertaken recently by the maintenance organisers. 
A return to Brecon was followed by a few days in the Upper Swansea valley visiting old friends and one day cycling the old railway lines down through Swansea and round to the Mumbles where it felt almost spring like. A favourite circular walk via the spectacular Fan Hir ridge offered superb views and a quick chat with a German girl making her way in to the hills rather late in the day on a mountain bike with wellies and rubber gloves to fend off the cold!
Another ride from Newport towards Abergavenny along the Brecon and Monmouth canal was enjoyed in sunny but chilly conditions - warm soup and other treats at Goytre Wharf fuelled our return which was slightly marred by a plunge in to the canal for one of our number !!
I am now at Talybont with another ride planned for Tuesday up in to the hills before later this week I head indirectly to Scotland - a trip which will be forcibly shortened as I have a scan for my knee unexpectedly early - 3 weeks time in fact. Plans beyond that will depend on the outcome of the scan but I still hope to get over to Scandinavia and plans for another winter in southern Europe and a return to Morocco are well advanced.

A few icy picks (geddit) are available here :  click


No comments:

Post a Comment

Help keep us in touch by adding your news and views!

COUNTY CLARE REVISITED AFTER FORTY YEARS....

The short drive to Tarbert put me at the back of the queue for the ferry across the Shannon and although I didn't get on the first one a...