Saturday 31 March 2012

Scottish Spring


After a relaxing and productive fortnight in Devon I headed over to Pembrokeshire to get the good news from my GP that they were happy for me to have a 3 month prescription freeing me to travel further afield with a repeat appointment and further blood tests not due until June.
A stove was collected and delivered to a bothy near Dolgellau where an excellent weekend's weather enabled us to remove the old one, sort out the flue, source new pipes and leave everything ready for the next visitors.
On the Sunday I met with my parents in Bishop's Castle for mail and departed for Sheffield the next day. A friend and I then spent three perfect days walking above Grassington including a long day over to Malham Tarn with a return via Gordale Scar. The superb scenery, empty space and glorious sun combined with good company and two excellent meals to make for a perfect break.
After going our separate ways I travelled via Coverdale to Swaledale and then explored the lead workings high above Arkengarthdale before spending the night near the Tan Hill Inn whose cosy comforts were enhanced by a talented harpist.
Less than four hours driving the next day had me past Glasgow where queues of motorists were searching for fuel and in the early afternoon I crossed from Gourock to Dunooon on the ferry.
A peaceful spot opposite Bute saw me ready to catch another ferry from Portavadie to picturesque Tarbet where a two hour walk in the forests and hills above the village offered wonderful views of the complicated coastline. A fellow passenger was a keen sea kayaker and had just retired with a plan to visit NZ at length next year.
The busy Kennacraig to Islay sailing was full at lunchtime so I could not travel earlier than booked so I took myself around part of the Kintyre Peninsula enjoying more wonderful views of the two islands I shall spend the next ten days on.

Some pictures should be here and the SPOT may be found via here - although the link has been playing up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Help keep us in touch by adding your news and views!

Valencia, The Ebre Delta, Els Ports and Northern Spain

The weather improved after a night in Yecla - in the evening we had walked down to town and watched the Easter floats being dismantled in th...